Monday, April 29, 2013

Barb Rentenbach

This was one of the most eye-opening experiences that I have been to in a long time. I think when I always think of students with disabilites, I always think that if they cannot communicate then they are not able to comprehend. This year in particular has really broken down those lies and has shown me that they are more than capable of doing tremendous things. 
My favorite part of the talk was when she was talking about students with disabilities and how society thinks that they are not "normal" therefore they do not have a place. She was saying that God created everyone in his image and has a distinct purpose in the world for them. Just like anyone else he created, they are called to minister to others and that is exactly what Barb does. Barb took the opportunity to spend ten years on a book to educate others on Autism and other disabilities so that others would understand her and others more. 
As an educator, it is important to remember that these children know more than we can understand and when we sit and rob them of an education because they are not "normal", we are doing them a huge injustice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment